Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Jeesh, I am great at updating this thing, aren't I?

So the Magnusons haven't been doing much of anything exciting, which is one reason why this blog is sooo dead! I have been studying for my Series 4 exam for work (options strategies and blah di blah) and it's a rather grueling process. Eric has been sick with what appeared to be salmonella, then we figured out was a crazy violent flu virus, then that regressed into a cold, and now it's bronchitis. Delicious. We've made some progress in the kitchen but I'd prefer to take pictures of it when the pretty morning light is shining--I'll post those sometime soon.

In the meantime, here are pics of our traditional Lenten Friday night jaunts at the Holy Name Fish Fry. Eric inducted me into this giant club of rabid fish fans when we started dating nearly ten years ago (holy carp). This fry is the most popular one in Omaha, often serving over 2000 dinners each Friday, and represents my absolute favorite time of year. It's so great I've never even been to another fish fry. What could top this?? I NEVER have more fun than I do at fish fry time!



Here is the entrance to the moderately crowded entrance to the main hallway underground. In nice weather, this line usually stretches over at least a couple city blocks. Our line last Friday wrapped around the building and doubled up in the parking lot. It's one of the best parts though! Hanging out in line with some of your family, best friends and a cooler of drinks is a fabulous time, and if it takes a couple hours, it's a couple hours definitely well-spent.

Once underground, the church provides each thirsty adult with two free cups of beer from strategically placed stations.






We run into people with whom we haven't been able to catch up in a long time--and sometimes we run into people we only ever see at the yearly fry.



It's crazy and crowded, your clothes hold the fish fry stank until you wash them (and sometimes the reek still perseveres), the fish is hot, crispy and juicy, and the beer is cold and perfect.



It is an excellent way to start the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Gini...I am jealous,that looks so fun. Can't wait to see you guys in May...no fish, but hopefully still good times.
    I'm going to use some wording from your comment about Tulips in the Mud as part of my title, hope that's ok.
    Give our best to Eric too!

    ReplyDelete