Sunday, September 13, 2009

At Lago, where all began and ended.

Before we began planning this trip, our original plan was to go to Mount Roraima in Venezuela. We were saving money really aggressively because flights were expensive, the Venezuelan Bolivar's exchange rate was 2.15 to our $1, and I really couldn't tell online how much things were going to cost there. Eric was having serious doubts we'd be able to do it (surprise, he doubts everything) and I was desperately determined we would (surprise, I'm very stubborn), when it came time for my Spanish class to give presentations on their favorite places in the Spanish-speaking world. One of my friends, Parker, gave a talk on Guatemala; he and his wife had adopted a little girl from there two years ago and fell in love with the country in the process. He showed us this website during his presentation, of a beautiful place where his family stayed when they went to pick up little Maria, and then it was all over for me:

Posada de Santiago

The photographs on this website are astounding. After grilling Parker after class for more information on this place, I thought about it all day and leaped on Eric as soon as he came home.

"Look at this gorgeous place! These stone cottages by the lake only cost $65 a night!" I still didn't have any idea where we'd be staying in Venezuela.



After goggling at the site for a few more minutes, that was literally all it took. Eric said "Let's go here instead," Venezuela was brushed aside, and I dove headlong into planning a new trip to Guatemala, ending at Lago de Atitlan and the Posada de Santiago. So here are some more pictures of our beautiful cottage, Casa Luna.

The awesome carved door


Inside




Looking out the door


And down here a little ways is the restaurant/reception, pool, sauna and hot tub.


I will return with tales of the restaurant, our tiny tiny show, eating, shopping and Maximon. :)

1 comment: