Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Radvent, Day 3: Compilation

I have always LOVED mixed music compilations. I made them all the time for myself in junior high, sort of accidentally falling into the habit after recording a song off the radio so I could memorize the lyrics (ha, so dorky!). In high school, we choir kids would dub tapes of choir songs we came across and excitedly traded them with each other (equally dorky). And in college, I was in absolute heaven with Napster. I made sooo many lists and saved them on my computer, which then croaked, and then Napster croaked too, so everything was lost. I still lament the loss of that beautiful recording of Schubert's "An die Musik" I found while taking voice classes. I have never found it again and don't remember the singer's name.



My husband also adores music. He grew up listening to CCR to my Michael Jackson, The Monkees to my New Kids on the Block, Seattle grunge to my 90's R&B. It was a clash of musical tastes when we got together, and I still do a little bit of a facepalm when I remember serenading him with Brian McKnight's "Back at One" before learning later that he'd prefer to listen to pretty much anything but R&B.  



It's been a long time since I made a treasured mixtape. Over the years, we've gotten a couple of mixed CDs from friends for road trips, and I cherished those. Perhaps I'll make a mix this week-- I was planning to download a bunch of favorite Christmas songs to play while baking anyway! I've been addicted to my Doris Day Holiday channel on Pandora. Love, love, love the old Christmas classics.

One album I've listened to almost on repeat this past year has been First Aid Kit's "The Big Black and the Blue." It's FABULOUS-- check it out.

I don't know that all of these songs correlate directly to turning points in the past year. Many do, some others I just really loved listening to. And probably not a single one is current! Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

In My Life - The Beatles
Punchbag - A Band of Bees
Die, Die, Die - The Avett Brothers
Right Here, Right Now - Jesus Jones
Drive My Car - The Beatles
Here Comes Your Man - The Pixies
Between the Bars - Elliott Smith

Wolf - First Aid Kit
Must Be Dreaming - Frou Frou
Rise Up With Fists!! - Jenny Lewis
California Gurls - Katy Perry (guilty pleasure!)
Changes - David Bowie


This just turned into a great music day. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment